Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Irish Christmas Eve Dinner

Since we are planning to spend Christmas Eve Traveling (ugg!) and Christmas day in FL (yay!)I won't get to make my version of a traditional Irish Chrimstmas dinner like I like to do for my hubby on Christmas Eve.  So I plan to make this tomorrow night.  Here are some details and I will post pics when I make them :) I find the Irish menu quite fitting as my last name is Monaghan and my life is populated with several Irish Redheads! :) 

Our Menu consists of:
Salmon
Potato Soup
Beer Bread
Steamed Asparagus
Hollandaise Sauce

Recipes are as Follows--

Asparagus:
Snap the tough ends off the asparagus. The ends may be discarded.

Steam asparagus until tender (not mushy) and drain. Asparagus should be a bright green rather than an olive color. The length of cooking time depends on how young the asparagus shoots are when harvested, and their size.  (I usually do it around 3 minutes; any longer they are mushy yuk!)
Serve with the following Hollandaise sauce.

Hollandaise Sauce:
4 egg yolks
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice or water
2 sticks butter (1/2 lb), in chunks
pinch of cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon sea salt, or to taste
pinch of white pepper (optional)

In a saucepan, beat egg yolks over low heat for about 5 minutes. The eggs should become heated, but if the temperature nears a boil, the eggs will scramble. If the mixture is not hot enough, the sauce may be too thin and is more likely to separate.
The sauce is ready when, with a stroke of the whisk, you will see the clean bottom of the pan.
On the lowest heat setting, add the chunks of butter, one at a time, and beating after each addition. Stir in the salt, pepper, cayenne and lemon juice.
Pour sauce over asparagus and enjoy!


Salmon:

I take a 9x13 baking dish and coat with a thin layer of olive oil.  Align the fish so they are not touching if possible.  I top with the following:
1 Lemon, sliced into 1/4-inch rounds
Sprinkle Dried Onion Flakes to taste
1 tablespoon Fresh Basil, chopped
1 tablespoon Fresh Dill, chopped
1/4 teaspoon Morton® All-Purpose Natural Sea Salt

Bake at 350 for 25 minutes or until thoroughly cooked.

Easiest Potato Soup Recipe EVER:

2 cans of Cream of Potato
2 cups of shredded hash brown potatoes
2 cups milk
Cubes of Velveeta to taste

I put in a crock pot all day so it is super tender and flavorful!  I season with seasoning salt, dried onion flakes and garlic salt to taste. 

When serving I garnish with dried chives, bacon and shredded cheddar cheese.  So easy and everyone LOVES it!


Beer Bread:

Purchase from tastefully simple and add one can of beer.  Doesn't get much easier or taste much better than that!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE LOVE LOVE comments! Please feel free to talk to me anytime! Comments are always a good way to gage if my fashion sense, decorations, crafts, etc are up to par! Did I mention I love comments? :)