Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Thursday, November 4, 2010

Word of the Day

The Word of the Day for Thursday, November 4, 2010 is:

brumal \BROO-muhl\, adjective: Of winter.

The congregation of hat-boxes and brumal desks and dressing-cases was prodigious. -- William Makepeace Thackeray, Vanity Fair


Her brother wintered at Welland; but whether because his experience of tropic climes had unfitted him for the brumal rigours of Britain, or for some other reason, he seldom showed himself out of doors, and Swithin caught but passing glances of him. -- Thomas Hardy, Two on a Tower

Brumal originates as the Latin brumalis, "pertaining to winter." When the French Republic renamed the months of the year, the second month was called Brumaire, "the foggy month."

This shall be my word of the day for this winter season.  Thank you http://www.dictionary.com/ for some enlightenment, I like your word today.  Watch out, Wordsmith in the making..

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE LOVE LOVE comments! Please feel free to talk to me anytime! Comments are always a good way to gage if my fashion sense, decorations, crafts, etc are up to par! Did I mention I love comments? :)